The Fatherhood Of God (Father's Day Series)
Posted: Jun 26, 02:41 PM
Author: Pastor Wales Goriola
The Fatherhood Of God (Father's Day Series)
The Lord's Prayer opens with a reverent address which says:"Our Father which art in heaven" - Matthew 6:9.
The Bible says "As many as received him (Jesus) to them gave he power to become the sons of God." - John 1:12. The word FATHER is used to describe a man who through natural reproduction begets children. Apart from this, the word has a number of other meanings:
- A FOUNDER i.e. the first ancestor of a tribe or nation. (Genesis15:15, Genesis 17:4-5)
- AN AUTHOR (beginner) OR INVENTOR of any art or profession as in Genesis 4:20 - 21 and thus Abraham was the Father of all them that believes God. (Galatians 3:6-7, John 8:39 - 44).
- It as well represents the MAKER of anything especially a CREATOR. In this sense God is called the FATHER of men and angels (Isaiah 63:16, 64:8, Ephesians 3:14-15, James 1:17, Hebrews 12:9, Acts 17:29). "But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand" - Isaiah 64:8
The Greek equivalent of father is PATER, which literally means NOURISHER,PROTECTOR: a person who is acknowledged as exercising the most authority within a family, household, or group. Every father has the vital duty of providing good, clothing, shelter, comfort and protection for his household. Paul say: "Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children."- 2 Corinthians 12:14 (1 Timothy 5:8, Matthew 8:5). The Bible says: "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."- 1Timothy 5:8.
The position and authority of a father is that of the head of the family. (Genesis 3:16, 2 Corinthians 11:3). Among the ancient Jews, children and even the grand children continued under the roof of the father and grandfather. They labored on his account and were most submissive of his servants. The property of the soil, the power of judgment, civil rights belonged to him only, and his sons were merely his instruments and assistants. The father's blessings were regarded as conferring special benefit, but his curse special injury. (Genesis 9:25, 18 - 27, 48:15 - 16, Genesis 20:49)
God's care and concern is greater than that of our earthly parents, besides he can do all things we desire of Him. Jesus says: "And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?" - Luke 11:9-13 (Luke 11:9 -13, Matthew 7:7 - 11, Mark 11:24). A realization of God's unlimited ability to provide our needs should make us honor, adore and respect Him as we make our requests known unto Him.
The father as the Head of the household has the obligation, incumbent on him, of bringing up his children in the fear of God, making them well acquainted with the precepts of the law and generally acting as their instructor and guide. The Bible says:"And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." - Deuteronomy 6:5-7 (Exodus 12:26-27, Deuteronomy 6:5-7, 4:9, 11:18 - 19, 31:12 - 13). He had to train, nurture and control the children (Proverbs 22:6, Isaiah 38:19, Proverbs 13:24; 19:18, Proverbs 22:15, 23:13). In the same token God has greater duty and right of controlling, directing and guiding us through His word as it is written "All scripture is given by the inspiration of God and it is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction if righteousness." -2 Timothy 3:16-17 (Psalm 119:9-11, Joshua 1:8).
As fathers, our trust must be in the Lord:
- When we remain in HIM as our (Vine), He will watch over our lives and all we committed in HIS care (John 15:5-10).
- Knowing that HE is a Faithful God (1 Corinthians 1:9)
- The devil will always come with his arts, in suggestion, sometime through our needs. (Resist the devil and he will flee. - James 4:7)
- Upon what did you build your family life? (1 Corinthians 3:11). Christ should be the foundation in which we build our lives and family.
- When situation comes like if the foundation is destroy, just look up to Jesus and seek more of HIS Presence, for in Him the foundation can not be destroy (2 Timothy 2:19).
- Fathers should stand their position as the spiritual head of the family. Many families result in divorce because fathers refuse to take their spiritual position and bring the family before the Lord. (Ephesians 5:23).
This week: Know that God, as a father, loves you and HE sees all you are going through. He opens His hand to help you, to assist you, and to be a "Father" onto you. Consider the story of the prodigal son. (Luke 15:11-32). He can do the same for you this week. If only you return onto HIM. Beloved! You can start a relationship with God today. The bible says "As many as received him (Jesus) to them gave he power to become the sons of God." -John 1:12. Why not accept Jesus now, make God your heavenly Father (Romans 8:9), and HE will Father you and be your God.
Remember this as you navigate this week: "if ye being evil know how to give good gifts unto your children how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask of him." -Matthew. 7:11
Watch the video here: http://www.blissandfire.com/onlinetv
We love You! God bless.
Pastor Wales Goriola
Bliss & Fire Network Team
Bliss & Fire Network Team ©2010
« Newer Older »